Published on January 1st, 201625
Travel Photo Roulette #119: BLUE (And the winner is…)
I’m delighted that we managed to nearly TRIPLE the number of entries for this, the 119th round of Travel Photo Roulette – thanks to all who submitted their favorite “BLUE” image. It was a tough choice, but shan’t keep you in suspense a moment longer…
ELAINE at TripWellness.com!
Congratulations Elaine, your “BLUE” image of a jellyfish amid the aquamarine waters of Looe Key is both remarkable and stunning! Now it’s your turn to host the next Travel Photo Roulette competition: TPR Round #120!
WHAT THE HECK IS TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE?
First of all, for those readers who aren’t bloggers (you know, the sane ones, the ones who have a l.i.f.e. and aren’t perpetually glued to their WordPress screens), Travel Photo Roulette is a friendly photography contest where the winner of the previous round gets to pick the next theme, host the contest and choose the next winner. It’s a way to share travel memories, enjoy beautiful photography and discover some new blogs.
The last TPR was hosted by Anne in Australia (Let Me Be Free Blog) with the theme of TRADITIONS. And while I had little competition (just three other entries), nonetheless I’m delighted that my precious image of a young Burmese lad applying thanaka (a pale yellow paste) to his cheeks at the break of dawn was selected as the winner of TPR #118:
So now it’s my turn to come up with a new theme for this, the 119th round of TPR. The truth is, this long-running travel photo contest (more than *5* years now – started waaay back in 2010 by my friend Jeremy at LivingTheDreamRTW.com) seems to have lost some of its sparkle. Not surprisingly, after more than 100 “rounds”, participation has been lagging lately. So in order to encourage more entries this round, I thought I’d keep the theme super simple, and also add a bit of dazzle to the game. Same contest, but with a little twist.
The theme for Travel Photo Roulette #119 is: BLUE
You can submit any travel photo you like – with an emphasis on the color blue. Light blue, dark blue, sapphire, indigo, denim, Facebook blue, heck we’ll even take shades of aquamarine. And the photo needn’t be composed entirely of shades of blue – just one, vibrant spot of blue will do quite nicely. It’s up to you. Here’s an example to give you inspiration:
(mouseover the “postcard” and watch the *magic!)
* Well o.k. for those viewing in IE, not so much a magical “flip” as a fading change. If you want to see the flip/flop, try viewing in Chrome or Firefox.
Notice that the sample includes the country where the image was snapped on the front, and… if you mouse over the image, the “postcard” flips to reveal a message on the back.
That’s the “twist” I’ve added for this TPR round. For each entry, I’ll whittle your image into a flip-flopping postcard, with the name of the country where you took it on the front, and a short message from you about travel (whatever you like, just keep it brief) on the back.
Here’s a few more examples of “Blue”:
(don’t forget, you can mouseover for the “flip”)
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE CONTEST OVERVIEW
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and bloggers submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the contest.
At the end of the submission period, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions, displays it as that round’s winning entry, and then passes the TPR baton on to the winner for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the host blogger into picking a certain photo via comments, but the host ultimately freely chooses their favorite. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a theme for new photo submissions.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media so more people can join the contest. And do be sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE CONTEST GUIDELINES
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (e.g., using Photoshop to remove elements) is not.
- An abstract submission is welcome as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen theme. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they can’t understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it’s okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic (e.g. “signs”), or abstract (e.g. “religion”).
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.”
- Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the duration of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
HOW TO ENTER TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE #119
To enter the Travel Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a (publicly accessible) link to your image (whether Flickr, Picasa, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) along with a brief description or caption for the photo.
BE SURE TO MENTION THE COUNTRY/PLACE that you want on the front of the postcard, along with YOUR VERRRY SHORT MESSAGE for the back. As the entries come in, I’ll whittle each one into a flippy postcard with your (did I mention s-h-o-r-t?) message on the back.
The TPR #119 contest runs from today, the first shiny day of 2016 – until midnight EST (UTC/GMT -5 hours) on Sunday, January 10th.
Check back here throughout the submission period to see all the entries as they come in, and feel free to comment on them. When the submission period ends. I’ll then have the (no doubt super tough) task of choosing my favorite, and will announce the lucky winner of TPR #119 here.
ENTRIES FOR TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE #119 “BLUE”
(don’t forget – mouseover to see a message on the back of each pic)
1. Anne at LetMeBeFreeBlog.wordpress.com
2. Josie at HouseSittingTravel.com
3. Michele at LeggingIt.com.au
4. Elaine at TripWellness.com
5. Lyn at TheTravellingLindfields.com
6. James at FlyIcarusFly.com
7. Juergen at dare2go.com
8. Irene at MoreTimeToTravel.com
9. Nathalie at ACookNotMad.com
10. Suzanne at Boomeresque.com
PREVIOUS TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE WINNERS
Check out previous TPR entries and winners, to see some truly remarkable travel photography:
TPR Winners Rounds 1-25
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream: Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker: Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream: Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ: Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust: Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back: Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD: Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate: Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond: Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky: Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam: Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles: The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures: Changing Seasons
- April 2011 Shutterfeet: Storytelling
- April 2011 10 Times One: Piousness
- April 2011 Beached Eskimo: Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies: Architecture
- June 2011 Destination World [-404-]: Transportation
- June 2011 Living the Dream: Paradise
- June 2011 Vagabond Quest: Clothes
- July 2011 The Unframed World: Symmetry
- July 2011 Beached Eskimo: Home
- July 2011 BackPackerBanter: Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader: Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe: Tranquillity
TPR Winners Rounds 26 -50
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer: Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan: City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com: Reflections
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart: Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest: Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels: Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls: Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam: Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout: Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel: Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One: Depth of the Field
- Feb 2012 Runaway Juno: … Digital Nomad Moment
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba: Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat: Local Character
- April 2012 The Travel Bunny: Street Scene
- April 2012 Adventure Crow [-404-]: Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss [-404-]: Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson: Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ: Once In A Lifetime
- July 2012 Dusty Main: Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away: Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges & Balloons: Splendour…
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester: What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno: Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin: Play
TPR Winners Rounds 51-75
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories: Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker: Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly: Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions: Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters: The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies: Patterns
- April 2013 Living the Dream: Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped: The Sun Goes Down
- June 2013 The GypsyNester: Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- June 2013 Boomeresque: Revolution
- July 2013 Breakaway Backpacker: Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World: Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports & Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery: The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet?: Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester: Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World: Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography: Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman: Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel: Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks: Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50: Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller: Working
TPR Winners Rounds 76-100
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole: Umbrellas
- April 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- April 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me: Mouthwatering
- June 2014 20 Years Hence: The Face of A Nation
- July 2014 Two for the Road: Into the Wild
- July 2014 TurtlesTravel: Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia: Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth: Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out: Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet: Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth: The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts: Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream: Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped: Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ: Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan: WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth: Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos?: Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost: Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings: Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel: What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz: Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers: Celebrate
And finally, the most recent winners of Travel Photo Roulette:
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour: Epic
- May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows: Landscape
- May 2015 We Travel Together: Wildlife
- May 2015 Vagabond Way: Festival
- June 2015 Travel Addicts: Landmarks
- June 2015 TravelnLass: Wrinkles
- July 2015 Anita’s Feast: Food Markets
- July 2015 Dare2Go: Dry
- August 2015 Travel Past 50: Home
- August 2015 Barefoot Nomad: Door
- September 2015 House Sitting Travel: Shapes
- September 2015 Berkeley and Beyond: Cemeteries
- October 2015 Dare2Go: Reflections
- October 2015 Journey Jottings: Thirst Quenching
- November 2015 Not A Ballerina: Home Away From Home
- November 2015 Nibble, Sip, Wander: Holiday
- December 2015 Travel with Kat: Light
- December 2015 Let Me Be Free: Traditions
- December 2015 TravelnLass: Blue
Enter your BLUE pic TODAY!
Oh and… share, Share, SHARE this post using #PhotoRoulette