Published on June 22nd, 201510
Travel Photo Roulette #106: WRINKLES!
WHAT THE HECK IS TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE?
First of all, for those readers who aren’t bloggers (you know, the sane ones, the ones who have a l.i.f.e. and aren’t perpetually glued to their WordPress screens), Travel Photo Roulette is a weekly photography contest where the winner of the previous round gets to pick the next theme, host the contest and choose the next winner. It’s a way to share travel memories, enjoy beautiful photography and discover some new blogs! The last TPR was hosted by Travel Addicts with the theme of LANDMARKS. The entries for Landmarks were truly impressive, and I was thrilled that my image of those legendary moai on Easter Island silhouetted against the dawn, was selected as the winner of TPR #105:
So now I have to come up with a new theme for this #106 round of TPR. Hmmm… While I pondered a half-dozen different possible themes, suffice I um, recklessly settled on this:
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE #106: WRINKLES
Aw, geez, I can hear all you young ‘uns out there groaning from here! Wrinkles, Dyanne? Wrinkles??? What on earth are you thinking?
But seriously. First of all, as my TL tagline emphatically proclaims:
“Proof that you’re never too old to slap on a backpack and follow your dreams.“
Uh, I dare say I’ve been boldly following my dreams for more than six decades now, and thus there’s bound to be a few wrinkles involved, yes?
Nonetheless – with 40 countries under my belt, me and my backpack ain’t plannin’ on slowing down anytime soon. After all, that’s pretty much the entire point of my TL blog – to inspire other lasses and lads of ANY age to go.for.it. So naturally I’m not the least bit squeamish about a few wrinkles, and I honestly think they have their own special “beauty”. Indeed, those crinkles and pleats are the mark of someone with a LOT of tales to tell. So why not celebrate them here?
Besides, they don’t have to be YOUR wrinkles – show us some of the wonderful dodderin’ characters you’ve met in your travels. Here’s a few of mine to give you some inspiration:
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE CONTEST OVERVIEW
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and people submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions, displays it as the week’s winning entry, and then passes the TPR baton on to the winner for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author ultimately freely chooses their favorite. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a theme for new photo submissions.
Do feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE CONTEST OVERVIEW
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (i.e., using Photoshop to remove elements) is not.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.”
- Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
HOW TO ENTER TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE #106: WRINKLES
To enter in the Travel Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) and I’ll upload it to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here throughout the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days, from today, June 22nd until midnight EDT (UTC/GMT -4 hour) on Sunday, June 28th when the submission period ends. At that point I’ll be tucked into some stray beach along the coast of Ecuador (with likely dubious digital juice) but will do my level best to announce the winner within a few of days of June 28th. The winner will then host the next round of TPR.
AND THE WINNER IS…
While I loved all the beautiful “wrinkles” in the other worthy entries, the wry scowl on the furrowed face of Tom Fakler’s “Bhaktapur Man” was a stand out. His expression tells a great story, and I can only hope that he and his family are safe and sound following the recent catastrophic earthquakes in Nepal.
Congratulations on the win, Tom – I look forward to the new theme you come up with for TPR #107!
ENTRIES – TPR ROUND #106 “WRINKLES”:
1. Tom Fakler from Anita’s Feast
2. Carole Terwilliger Meyers from Travels With Carole
3. James Phan from Fly Icarus Fly
4. Suzanne Fluhr from Boomeresque
This is a photo of a woman selling I’m not sure what in a street market in Luang Prabang, Laos. I’m sorry to say there are little birds in those tiny cages. I’m not sure how old she is, but it seems that a hard life is written in her face.
This is a list of all the previous winners and themes. Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some fab photographs.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream: Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker: Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream: Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ: Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust: Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back: Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD: Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate: Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky: Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam: Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles: The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet: Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One: Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo: Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies: Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World: Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream: Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest: Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World: Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo: Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter: Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader: Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe: Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer: Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan: City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com: Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart: Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest: Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels: Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls: Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam: Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout: Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel: Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One: Depth of the Field
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba: Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat: Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny: Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss: Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ: Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker: Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away: Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons: Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester: What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno: Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin: Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories: Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker: Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly: Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions: Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters: The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies: Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream: Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped: The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester: Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque: Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker: Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World: Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery: The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet?: Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester: Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World: Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography: Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman: Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel: Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks: Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50: Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller: Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole: Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me: Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence: The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road: Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel: Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia: Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth: Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out: Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet: Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth: The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts: Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream: Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped: Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ: Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan: WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth: Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos?: Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost: Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings: Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel: What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz: Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers: Celebrate
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour: Epic
- May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows: Landscape
- May 2015 We Travel Together: Wildlife
- May 2015 Vagabond Way: Festival
- June 2015 Travel Addicts: Landmarks
- June 2015 TravelnLass: Wrinkles