Published on June 19th, 20164
17 Ways You Know You’re a Hopeless Wanderlust
Most any of us enjoys a change of geographic scenery, no? And many thrill to the fun of visiting a new country or two every now and again. But for some of us, that thrill has become arguably an addiction – a perpetual urge to explore ever new corners of this wondrous globe. Indeed, for some of us the entire Planet has pretty much become “home”.
Thus in a momentary flight-of-fancy, I’ve had a bit of fun here – jotting down a few stray observations that – for better or worse – mark me (might likewise mark you?) as a hopeless wanderlust.
You know you’ve slipped over to the Wanderlust dark-side when…
- You plan your itinerary for a new country while reading the in-flight magazine on your way home from your last new country.
- You often momentarily forget which country you’re in.
- You can calculate the time zones of at least 5 different friends in your head.
- You have such a large assortment of discarded sim cards that you’re thinking of starting an Etsy shop to sell sim card earrings.
- You can’t remember when you drank water out of the tap.
- You frequently say “thank you” in the wrong foreign language.
- You never grip the armrest during air turbulence.
- You’ve perfected the art of brushing your teeth – without water.
- You NEVER check baggage.
- You can barter like a pirate – and NEVER pay full price.
- Diesel fumes no longer make you gag.
- Suspicious meat no longer makes you wince.
- Street food is your preferred dish du jour.
- You’ve (necessarily) added extra pages to your passport.
- You’ve memorized – not only your passport number, but both the issue date and the expiration date, along with the place of issue (and can recite what it says on “Page 51”).
- You can fall asleep on the floor of a circus.
- You don’t call it “soccer”.
Then you might want to subscribe to my email list so you’re sure to catch my next one.
(trust that I’ll not clog your precious inbox – I generally only post but once a week.)