Foto Flip Friday

Published on October 31st, 2014

Foto Flip Friday – November Theme: “Travel Eats” (Week 1)

Welcome to a brand new edition of Foto Flip Friday – a selected showcase of photos dredged up from my bountiful photo archives and whittled into a pretty little “flip/flop” postcard each Friday.   And to add to the fun, each month I’ll challenge myself to unearth a series of images that meet a monthly theme.

This month’s theme promises to be uh, delicious!:   TRAVEL EATS

Why Travel Eats?   Well heck, eating my way around the world is primarily why I travel.   And you can bet I have gazillions of photos to prove it!   Everything from roasted creepy-crawlies in Vietnam, to sipping fermented mare’s milk in Mongolia, to the most delish “amuse-bouche” followed by smoked salmon and cavier in Laos – I’ve sampled them all!   So let’s get started, shall we?   (do mouseover to see a short message on the back of each postcard).

For starters, we’ve got two fairly recent yummies.   The first from my marathon whiz ’round the globe last February from Vietnam to Ecuador – via a most lovely 3 day layover hanging out with a good friend in D.C.:

(simply mouseover the image and watch the *magic!)

Foto Flip Friday November 2014 Theme: Travel Eats - Back in the U.S.A. Chuck's Pancakes Postcard photo Front

Foto Flip Friday November 2014 Theme: Travel Eats - Back in the U.S.A. Chuck's Pancakes Postcard photo Back

* Well o.k. for those viewing in IE, not so much a magical “flip” as a fading change.  If you want to see the flip/flop, try viewing in Chrome or Firefox.

And here’s an example from here in Ecuador – amazing what one can do with a k.i.t.c.h.e.n!:

Foto Flip Friday November 2014 Theme: Travel Eats - Cuenca Tacos Postcard Front

Foto Flip Friday November 2014 Theme: Travel Eats - Cuenca Tacos Postcard Back

And finally, a long-ago fond walk-down-memory-lane, back when I was guiding small group trips to Belize and Costa Rica (uh, note the bottle of “Belikin” beer close by): 😉

Foto Flip Friday November 2014 Theme: Travel Eats - Happy Birthday Belize Postcard Front

Foto Flip Friday November 2014 Theme: Travel Eats - Happy Birthday Belize Postcard Back

All this month I’ll be rummaging through my archives for more “TRAVEL EATS” images, so check back next Friday to see another flip/flop postcard or two from my past.

And meanwhile – come on, you KNOW you have some scrumptious travel eats to share, so do submit a “Travel Eats” photo of your own (in landscape format, min. 700 px. wide).  Just upload it to an online source (e.g. your blog, Facebook, Flickr, etc – make sure the privacy settings are set to “public”), and post a link to it in the comments below.

Who knows?  I might just whittle it into a flip/flop digital postcard here!

8 Responses to Foto Flip Friday – November Theme: “Travel Eats” (Week 1)

1. Chuck says:

I thought that first one looked familiar. Wonderful memory of your visit.

Well hey Chuck – yes, I thought that first postcard w/ your yummy pancakes might ring a bell. You fed me oh so well on my brief drop-in to the U.S. of A. – more fond memories for us both.

I also remember a certain delish Thanksgiving there at your place in D.C. – are you cooking again this year? Do submit a pic here so I can at least virtually drool over the turkey and pumpkin pie. 😉

2. Mmm, now this is a photo flip theme I can relate to! I want to go to India…to eat and go to Malaysia again…to eat. So many nommy foods in the world!
    Ruth Elisabeth kindly contributed to world literature by posting…Having a foreign accentMy Profile

Me too Ruth – food seems to be the one thread across all the countries I’ve visited. I missed going to India while I was in that half of the world, but yes – no doubt some incredible eats there.

btw, surely you must have at least ONE pic of a streaming hot bowl of pho, yes? Why not submit here and I’ll make it into a flip/flop postcard for both of us to fondly remember our many days in Vietnam?

3. Yum! That pie looks delish!
    Anita@No Particular Place To Go kindly contributed to world literature by posting…A Town By Any Other Name…My Profile

Yes Anita, Glenda’s Lemon Meringue pie was LEGENDARY on the tiny isle of Caye Caulker (I wonder if she’s even still alive?)

Indeed, I’m loving these Foto Flip Friday walk-down-memory-lane. Bringing back memories I’d all but forgotten.

4. Keith says:

I am a beer lover so heading to a town in the Czech Republic where the town name is now the name of the most common type of beer was a wonderful experience. This was a delicious meal of a type of goulash in bread bowl and accompanied by a Pilsner Urquell because what else would you drink while in Plzen.

Keith kindly contributed to world literature by posting…Friday Faces-Chefchaouen, MoroccoMy Profile

Now THAT looks utterly delish, Keith! Gonna make a very nice flip-flop postcard. Thanks for the submission and stay tuned for next Friday’s assortment of Travel Eats.

And… you’re in/were recently in one of my favorite corners of the Planet: Chefchaouen, the City of Blue! I’d go back there in a heartbeat!